Wednesday 26 October 2011

Terrell Owens held a workout and nobody showed up

Terrell Owens thinks he can be a star again. Drew Rosenhaus agrees. Unfortunately for the wide receiver and his agent, neither of them can sign him.


An NFL team needs to do that.


Owens, a sure Hall of Famer, held a workout/audition yesterday and no one showed up. However, the workout was televised by ESPN and the NFL Network.


Rosenhaus, who claims Owens "could play this Sunday" says that team could be the Titans but Tennessee obviously was not on hand to investigate in person.


Owens is coming off knee surgery but caught 72 passes and had nine touchdowns last season. And his career numbers -- 15,934 yards, 153 TDs and 1,078 catches -- are Canton-worthy.


Hall of Famer Jerry Rice says "without a doubt" someone will give Owens a shot.


The only problem was that on this day the number of reporters (eight) outnumbered the NFL scouts (zero) watching Owens work out for about an hour at Calabasas High.


Owens, 37, said he has fully recovered from a torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in early April. The six-time Pro Bowl player also maintained that he wasn't bothered that there weren't any NFL scouts on hand to watch his workout.


"Why would I be upset?" Owens said. "Like I said, I'm a realist. Everybody knows that I'm honest. So, it doesn't bother me that nobody is here. But that doesn't mean nobody is interested."


For those who might be interested in Owens, the NFL Network and ESPN were there to record things.


Owens went through a series of drills and then took off his shirt and ran some passing routes for 25 minutes. He caught passes from Casey Hansen, a former quarterback at Norfolk State andin the Arena Football League.


Drew Rosenhaus, Owens' agent, said he'll send tapes of his client's workout to all 32 NFL teams and expects to attract some interest in the coming weeks.


"I feel like I want to go to a team that's a contender and obviously complete for a championship," Owens said. "I think there are some teams, if you look around the league, you can't say that I can't play on any of those teams."


Owens has played for five NFL teams. Last season he caught 72 passes for 983 yards and nine touchdowns for the Cincinnati Bengals.


He is known to be a controversial figure and a dominant personality in a locker room.


"I can only go by what I've done in the last two years," Owens said. "If everybody wants to be a history major and really go by what happened in the past, that's their loss. I think I've tried to rebuild and do some things different the last two years. When I was in Buffalo [in 2009], you didn't hear a peep. When I was in Cincinnati, you didn't hear much. So other than that, that's all I can do is move forward."


When asked how his knee felt, Owens was quick to answer.


"How did it look?" he asked. "I think if I wasn't feeling well, then it would have showed out there on the field. So, I feel good."


One of those watching Owens' workout was Jerry Rice, his former San Francisco 49ers teammate who now works for ESPN.


In his NFL career Owens ranks second all time, behind Rice, in yards receiving, and Owens and Randy Moss both have 153 receiving touchdowns, also second all time behind Rice.



All about NFL:


Jahvid Best ruled out vs. Falcons


San Francisco 49ers


Pittsburgh Steelers


49ers arrival of Edward DeBartolo & Bill Walsh


San Francisco 49ers fifth


San Francisco 49ers season Records


Seattle Seahawks


Arizona Cardinals


Detroit Lions


Jahvid Best


Cincinnati Bengals


Minnesota Vikings


New England Patriots


Dallas Cowboys


Monday Night Football

No comments: