Thursday 8 September 2011

Bethenny Frankel Raising Vegetarian Daughter

All of you who haven’t gotten your fill of Bethenny Frankel (or her opinions) – good news – and for the rest of you, I apologize in advance – because Bethenny is now in the business of writing “fiction.” Yes, Bethenny has just inked a book deal to author her first work of “creative writing.” The novel titled Skinny Dipping, is tentatively expected to be out next spring, will be the first novel in a three-book deal.




Skinny Dipping will, of course, be another foray in the Skinnygirl empire (which unlike the frame of it’s figurehead, isn’t dwindling anytime soon); and will feature a character that sounds a lot like… Bethenny.




“It’s about a girl’s journey and what she wants, and trying to have it all. It’s about the lessons and the people along the way, about naysayers and rising above. There will be a lot of juiciness and people wondering what it’s based on and if any of it was influenced by my life.” Here’s guessing that character will also start a diet drink company and appear on a reality show with a bunch of catty b*tches like herself.




Bethenny plans to write her first novel from her home office, where she explains she employs part-time childcare for Bryn: “I have a part-time nanny there at 8 a.m., and I usually have her leave at 2. I like to be with the baby.” Bethenny continues, “I have an easy baby — and it’s exhausting. She jumped into the dishwasher today. She’s really structured, and she’s still a terror.”




And speaking of Bryn, Bethenny recently blogged that her 15-month-old is strictly vegetarian! Unlike some of her other food decisions, which are viewed by some as controversial (and unhealthy), Mama B seems to have a fairly sensible approach to Bryn’s diet, writing: “As far as raising Bryn as a vegetarian, that was a personal choice. If Bryn is older and wants something at a party that isn’t vegetarian, I don’t want her to feel ostracized. She’ll find her way.




She wants Bryn to have similar experiences. She writes on her blog, “When I took on the responsibility of Bryn’s diet, it took some planning and consideration, but mostly common sense. I knew she wouldn’t be a children’s menu child either. I often see 13-year-olds who only eat pizza or pasta noodles with butter and so many other adolescents who are picky about food. Food can be such a great passion, a conversation piece, a part of traveling to different places and an overall connection to others.”




Although the vegetarian diet works for Bryn for now, Frankel has plans to be flexible about it. “As far as raising Bryn as a vegetarian, that was a personal choice. If Bryn is older and wants something at a party that isn’t vegetarian, I don’t want her to feel ostracized. She’ll find her way. I have eaten raw, vegan, vegetarian etc and I love the feeling of eating all of those healthy foods and not incorporating meat. If I have to vow to never eat meat again because she starts to notice that I have a piece of turkey bacon, then I may make that sacrifice.”




However, don’t expect to see Bryn on a vegan diet any time soon. In Frankel’s opinion, that’s too strict a plan for a baby. “I chose not to have her be vegan because I believe she needs the fat and protein in milk, and sometimes I need her to fill up on organic cheese. Her health comes first. Also, if she didn’t eat so many beans and good proteins, I might change this approach.”




Regardless of what Bryn’s ultimate diet becomes, Frankel is very hands-on about her child’s nutrition. Check out her blog for more on Bryn’s diet, Frankel’s thoughts on food preparation, a typical day’s meal plan, eating in restaurants and more.

No comments: