Thursday 31 May 2012

Euro 2012: Frank Lampard faces crucial scan on injured thigh to determine whether he can travel with England


Tuesday lunchtime that Frank Lampard sat down at the England team hotel to discuss the possibility of a fourth international tournament and finally putting behind him the disappointments that have followed his career with the national team since his first big impact at Euro 2004.


There were the usual questions, as relevant now as they were at the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals, such as whether he could play with Steven Gerrard in a central midfield pairing; whether he could adapt his game to be a more defensive midfielder in the twilight of his career; and whether, as he approaches his 34th birthday next month, he could add a medal with England to one of the most impressive collections in modern English football.


Today, Lampard goes for a scan on a thigh injury picked up in training yesterday morning that is all but certain to rule him out of Euro 2012. He may never get a chance to lay to rest the disappointments of the last two World Cup finals or win the 10 caps that would take him to a century for England. For a player who has won everything in the club game, it is a sad way to end a remarkable season.


At Stamford Bridge, he is adored as the man who epitomises the good times under Roman Abramovich more than any other player. Not least because he was picked up from West Ham 11 years ago for what now seems like a bargain £11m – although at the time it was a considerable investment – and became one of the most influential players of his generation.


England? Well, that aspect of his career is a bit different. There, the love affair has waned at times since his impact at Euro 2004 and the relationship with the more fickle elements of the support has not always been as strong. When he was left out of the team by Fabio Capello for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria last September, despite the absence of Gerrard and Jack Wilshere, it looked like a pivotal moment.


Lampard, who turns 34 next month, said: "I did wonder if I was going to make it (the Euros) earlier in the season. I'm not silly. I wondered if I'd be out.
"I took nothing for granted at that stage and it just shows you how football can turn, not just for myself.
"A few in the squad might have been out of the picture a few months ago and now they are in the picture.
"I can only be thankful that I just kept going through those times."
Speaking this week, prior to his injury, he added: "Is it the last chance with England? Possibly. One day it might be taken out of my hands, so it's not an easy one to answer.
"I don't see myself retiring or taking myself out of it in the near future, so I wouldn't want to call it the last one necessarily.
"But I'm no fool and I know that age is a factor and, when you're at the top international level, you don't go on forever. Nobody does. I will take this as potentially one of my last chances.
"This year in the Champions League I had that same mindset. I didn't think it was my last year, but you know that it won't go on forever and it makes you appreciate it even more."
England face Belgium at Wembley on Saturday, which means a sight of Eden Hazard ahead of an anticipated move by the young Lille midfielder to Chelsea.
Lampard is expecting ''great things" of Hazard at Chelsea after receiving the seal of approval from Didier Drogba and Joe Cole.
Lampard said: "It's a very exciting time for the club and I'm looking forward to seeing what he's about.
"Everyone I speak to says he is a very top player, a very top young player.

No comments: