Monday 17 October 2011

Giuliana Rancic reveals she's battling breast cancer

Giuliana Rancic had an announcement to make during a Monday morning appearance on The Today Show -- but it wasn't the one she or anyone wanted or expected.


Instead of a happy pregnancy announcement, Rancic, 37, told Ann Curry: "I have early stage breast cancer." The E! News host and Giuliana and Bill star made the frightening discovery back in August, as she was preparing for her third attempt to get pregnant through in vitro fertilization.




Rancic explained that her doctor sternly insisted that she get a mammogram before going through with the third IVF treatment. (The pregnancy hormones could "accelerate the cancer," Rancic recalled her doctor as saying.)


The star, who said she has no family history of breast cancer, "wasn't prepared to get a mammogram until i was 40 years old," she admitted. "I never in my wildest dreams expected anything to be wrong."




When the hospital called a few days later to tell her the shocking news, Rancic admits she was immediately "sobbing...It was like the world just crashed around me."


But a visibly emotional Rancic assured fans, "I will be okay, because I found it early. I'm doing surgery this coming week, and then I go to radiation for six and a half weeks."


At her side throughout the ordeal is husband Bill Rancic, 40. "Bill is unbelievable," Rancic gushed. "He lets me cry when I want to cry. He just lets me feel what I want to feel."


But this morning on Today, the E! red carpet host revealed that the baby attempts led her to other news.


"Through my attempt to get pregnant for the third time, we sadly found out that I have early stages of breast cancer. It's been a shock. A lot of people have been asking, we saw that you went and got IVF, are you pregnant? But sadly, we've had to put that off."


Gancic, 36, said that when they went to do the third round of IVF, a doctor said she needed a mammogram. She wasn't going to get one until she was 40, but he urged her. When she found out the mammogram revealed breast cancer, she said, "I couldn't believe it."


She adds, "I will be okay, because I found it early."


She'll have surgery this week, then radiation for six weeks. "I'm not going to give up" on trying to have a baby. "Now I truly believe God was looking out for me. Had I gotten pregnant, a few years down the line I could have gotten sicker. So the baby saved my life."



All about:

No comments: